Office for the Aging

Paying for Care and Services

Paying for Care and Services

Paying for care and services can be hard.  Some of the services may be covered by your insurance, but much is not.  When your insurance does not cover the care you need, you need to find a way to pay for the rest of your expenses.  Private health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO’s), Long Term Care Insurance, Veterans Benefits, Older Americans Act Funding, State Office for the Aging Programs, New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, Social Security Disability, or other program funding are all paying sources for long term care. 

Each agency listed on our website can tell you about the funding sources that can pay for the services they offer.  

NY Connects of Genesee County can do a financial screening to find out which funding program might be right for you.  

Common Payment Methods  


Medicare covers ages 65 and older.  This also covers those who have been receiving Social Security disability benefits for at least two years.  It also may help with some long term care costs.


Medicaid is for persons with low to average income and few resources.  Contact the Genesee County Department of Social Services (click on “Social Services”) for more information.

Veteran’s Benefits

Veteran’s Benefits can be explained on the website or the Genesee County Veterans Office website. Click on “Veterans”.

Private Health Insurance/Long Term Care Insurance

Check with your insurance company to find out what coverage you may have for long term services.  Coverage can be different depending on your insurance.

Other Sources

Older Americans Act Funds and New York State Office for the Aging Expanded In-home Services for the Elderly Program (EISEP) fund some in-home services.  These are based on cost-sharing or contribution given through the Genesee County Office for the Aging.

Private Pay (Also Known as Patient Pay or Out-Of-Pocket)

Your personal income includes employment, pensions, and Social Security.  It also includes your personal savings like bank accounts, Individual Retirement Accounts, Certificates of Deposit, etc.

See the “Frequently Asked Questions” section for more information about the different kinds of places an older or disabled person can live and about community-based services.

When you just don’t know what to do or where to turn, call NY Connects of Genesee County/Office for the Aging at (585) 343-1611 for help.