County Clerk

Passport Application Information

How to get your passport application process started
at the County Clerk’s Office

You can apply for your passport at the Genesee County Clerk’s office. You can pick up an application at our office, get one online at, or get one when you bring all of the items on the checklist (proof of citizenship, proof of identity, and two passport photos).  Passport photos may be taken at our office for a fee of $10.

Applying for the first time

It is best to apply for your passport at least 3 months before your planned trip.  Applications for passport are normally processed in 10 to 13 weeks.

When applying for a passport for the first time, you need to submit your application in person.  Complete the passport application, which is Form DS-11, but DO NOT SIGN IT.  You will be required to sign in person when you are applying for your passport and will be required to bring all your supporting documents to our office.

Need a Passport in a Hurry?

Request the Department of State’s expedited passport processing service for an additional $60.  Your application will normally be processed within 7 to 9 weeks from date of application.  The payment of $19.53  for 1 to 2 day return delivery service must be included with the passport fee, payable to the Department of State.

At the County Clerk’s Office

Submit your passport application and the required documents from the checklist to one of our county clerk passport agents. You typically will receive your passport within 10 to 13 weeks.

What to Bring with You when you are Applying

You will need to provide the following items when you submit your passport application in person at the County Clerk’s Office:

Passport application

     Passport Application Form DS-11 (unsigned)


Proof of U.S. Citizenship (provide one of the following)
      Previous Fully Valid U.S. Passport
      Certified U.S. Birth Certificate ( with both parents names and raised seal )
      Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
      Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship with easily recognizable photo

Proof of Identity (provide one of the following)
      Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship with easily recognizable photo
      Current, valid driver’s license
      Government employee ID
      Military ID
      For minors under 16 years of age, each child must appear in person and both parents or legal guardians must present evidence of relationship and proof of identity.

Two Identical Passport Photos
      (if taken at a location other than the County Clerk’s Office)
      2 x 2 inches in size
      Taken within the past six months
      Color required
      Full-face, front view with a plain white or off-white background ( no glasses and neutral facial expression required )
      Normal street attire, no hats or headgear

*County Clerk’s Office offers passport photo service
     The fee is an additional $10 and can be paid with cash, check, or money order

Passport Fees (must be paid separately)

  U.S. Department
of State
Clerk Fee
Without Photo
With Photo
Age 16 and older $130 $35 $165 $175
Age 15 or younger $100 $35 $135 $145

*U.S. Department of State total may be paid with check or money order
*County Clerk fees may be paid with check, money order or cash.


The U.S. Passport Card may only be used for re-entry into the United States at land borders and sea ports-of-entry when traveling from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Passport Cards may not be used for air travel.  Call our office for more information or go to

Fee Type
Execution Fee
Separate Payment
to Acceptance
Passport Card
Fee Separate
Payment to U.S.
Department of Sate
Under Age 16 $35 $15
Age 16 or Over $35 $30

Photo’s to be submitted for the passport cards at our office is an additional fee of $10.

Passport Tips

Remember: You can always get information and forms by contacting the National Passport information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or online at

Before traveling abroad, make a copy of the identification page in case your passport is lost or stolen.

Carry two extra passport-size photos with you.

If your passport is lost or stolen abroad, report the loss immediately to local police authorities and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Before you travel, check for U.S. Department of State travel warnings at web site